In this section:
Smart shopping is all about making the most of what you buy and also thinking about what to buy to reduce the amount of waste you produce. This can be as simple as making a shopping list so you only buy what you need to or choosing products with less packaging.
The main points to remember when shopping are:
1. Say NO to plastic bags
- Over 8 billion plastic bags are used in the UK every year. They can take 1000 years to degrade and can be avoided by using cloth bags instead
2. Buy food with minimal packaging
- Less packaging means less rubbish being dumped in landfill sites. Supporting companies who are reducing their packaging will encourage others to reduce their own
3. Make a shopping list and stick to it
- You’ll be surprised at how much less food is in your bin at the end of the week…. and how much more money is in your wallet!
4. Buy in bulk
- Buy non-perishable items in bulk and save on extra journeys to the shop as well as on packaging
- Minimise emissions and energy used to transport the food and support local businesses where you can. Farmer’s markets are also a great way to help the local economy
6. Don’t buy disposable
- Reusable products last much longer and produce less waste than single use items . Razors, for example